Sunday, August 4, 2013

Fast Sunday

The first Sunday of the month is what we call Fast Sunday.  I wish it meant that three hours of church went "fast."  Unfortunately, it seems to go slower.  Mormons follow the Biblical fast, abstaining from food or drink for twenty-four hours.  In the Bible it clearly mentions the fast:

16 ¶Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. Matthew  6:16.

As one modern interpretation might be, that when one is fasting, one wears his/hers best clothes, puts on a happy face (I try to wear lipstick even!) and tries to have energy despite not eating.  Therefore, no one can tell if you are fasting.

Purpose of the fast

The Lord always accomplishes the most good with any commandment.  It helps us temporally and spiritually.  When Mormons fast for two meals, they give the money they would've used for the meals to help with the poor or needy.  We are encouraged to be generous with these "fast offerings."  The hunger we feel reminds us that there are people who are often hungry and it makes us generous and grateful for that which we have and often take for granted.

The second way fast helps us is spiritually.  By putting our bodies in subjection to our wills, we allow the spirit to gain control.  Then the Lord's Spirit can speak to us more readily.  Fasting, coupled with prayer, is a sacrifice that allows us to show the Lord we are giving more than giving lip service for the blessings we ask for. 

Fast Sunday is also "open mike" at the pulpit.  Instead of the usual speakers, members of the congregation, when prompted by the Spirit, are able to stand and share their "testimonies" or their feelings about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I have been so uplifted by people sharing their experiences, their faith with me.  I am strengthened when I hear people bear witness that they know that Heavenly Father loves them, that he hears and answers their prayers.  It reaffirms my faith.  One of the things that one sister shared last month has really stuck with me.  She said the greater the sacrifice the greater the blessings.  I feel that is true.  I cling to that faith as I go through trials, as I give up what I want for what the Lord wants.  It's not an easy thing so I count on those blessings.  They may not be immediate, but they will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment